An online site to document my journey
I’ve been focusing some attention lately to increase my online presence… with a few goals in mind.
- To give me a single place to put my résumé and professional history, selected biographical notes, my thoughts, links, photos, and what not. A one-stop, Mark shop.
- To create a multimedia-like online résumé experience, allowing interested parties (recruiters and hiring managers) to view my portfolio in several different ways. My years working “undercover” at KLA-Tencor left virtually no professional exposure on the web.
- To broaden the results of a Google search for “Mark Allen Neil” to include more than forum posts. If Google has led you here, then I’ve apparently done a good job.
So I intend to address as many of these goals with this website as humanly possible… and as time permits.
This website serves another goal… continued self-training in creating interesting websites.
- This is my third significant site… I recommend visiting my other sites - Sparklegram and AuthorCollector.
- For this site, I’m employing the intriguing Symphony CMS. I’m finding Symphony an elegant and powerful content management system, but documentation is a bit lacking… I may post some tutorials here.
- I’ve taken advantage of some extremely good work posted online by Stephen Bau. I’m using his Fluid 960 Grid System for my CSS framework (modified to suit my tastes). I also have found his Symphony tutorial at DesignProjectX to be incredibly helpful.
- I’ve finally abandoned Windows and I’ve developed this site entirely in Ubuntu Linux using a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) stack.